Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Game is Afoot.......


Sherlock vs Sherlock Holmes

I have just finished watching Series 1 of the BBC show "Sherlock".  I say Series, because that is what they are called in the UK, where in the US we would call it a Season.  There are three "episodes", each an hour and half long that make up the first series.



I have to say I quite enjoyed it.  I have always been a fan of Doyle's Sherlock Holmes literature, and I am huge fan of the Robert Downey Jr. films.  This show brings to the table a representation of the character that differs from both in creative ways.

I originally heard of the show from a critic that was comparing the RDJ movies to the new series.  The critic went on about how the series was a much truer representation of the famous character than what Hollywood has conjured, even considering the series is set in modern day London.  I have to disagree with the entire argument proposed by the critic.


Not withstanding that one is produced to be a Holloywood blockbuster franchise, and the other, an ongoing cerebral show akin to the likes of CSI, Bones, Criminal Minds, etc, I don't think the two subjects can be compared based solely on the far separation of their source genre's.

The two are so different that trying to compare and contrast them, judging one better than the other, does an actual disservice to both.

Anyone interested in investigative shows, based on logic will truly enjoy the BBC Sherlock TV show.  The first series is available now for streaming on Netflix, while the second series is currently airing.

Sherlock on Wiki

No comments:

Post a Comment